Tuesday, August 10, 2010

This blog is dedicated to my mom, Dr. Anne Righton Malone. She was, among many things, a remarkable cook. A single mom raising four kids while going to college and tutoring to make a few bucks. We were poor, but let me assure you, we didn't eat like we were poor.

She would bargain shop by going to day old bread stores, farm stands, and for the best deals we would drive 30 minutes outside the city to a small farm to get fresh milk, eggs and what ever was in season.

Home was decorated with shelving made from recycled concrete blocks and boards covered with plants and herbs. It was a jungle! Of course, not a single plant was purchased - most were nurtured clippings from from a friends plant or something she spotted in a strangers overgrown garden that she determined needed better care in our house.

Dinner was alway made with the freshest ingredients because they were the cheapest and they were the best. She would combine what was on hand to create spectacular meals. I never saw her use a cookbook. It just seemed like instinct. I remember spaghetti squash, artichokes, lots of salad, cucumber sandwiches. One of my favorites was the rare occasion we had roast beef. It was out of this world! Super moist, seasoned perfectly, and cooked rare.

Mom, Dr. Anne Righton Malone, passed away a few years ago at 65. I could go on an on about who she was and what she did and how she changed the lives of so many people. In your memory mom, this is for you. Thanks for the inspiration and for seasoning my palate at a young age. I love you and I miss you!


No comments:

Post a Comment