Saturday, September 4, 2010

Fajitas with an orange chipotle sauce

subtitled: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness!

Click on this picture. Doesn't this look good!
The secret is in the sauce! This is worth a try. I've been tinkering with an orange chipotle sauce and I think I'm done tinkering. Jot this down:

2 cups orange juice
1 & 1/2 teaspoons of the sauce from a can of chipotle peppers
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup dry white wine
about an 1/8 of a cup of balsamic vinegar

Bring this to a boil. Reduce to about 3/4 of a cup. Maybe 45 minutes on medium. Keep a close eye on this.

That's it. Let this stuff cool and it's good to go. (sneak a taste on your finger... good, huh!?)


I used equal parts paprika, cumin, coriander, thyme, and old bay as a rub on the top round steak. I pounded the steak with a tenderizer mallet.
I grilled some onions and green peppers in a cast iron pan on the grill. At the same time, I cooked the steak to medium. I brushed orange chipotle sauce on steak as a glaze while cooking.

I took the steak off the grill and let it rest for about 10 minutes. This was a good time to heat up both corn and flour tortillas. I tossed the sliced steak in the hot cast iron pan and poured in enough orange chipotle sauce to coat the steak well. I immediately took the hot skillet to the table and served the feast.
 

Serve the orange chipotle seasoned steak and onions/peppers on a grilled tortilla with tomato, lettuce, avocado, fresh lime juice, cheese, and cilantro along with black beans and rice. A shot of tequila is the perfect beverage to complement this oh so tastey meal!


This was great! I'd make this again. If nothing else, this blog is a way for me to keep track of my favorite meals. Note to self... you really liked this. Make it again!

2 comments:

  1. Annette and I love Fajitas - I'm going to give your orange chipotle recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmm this sounds delicious! i bet if you marinated the steak in the sauce a bit before you cook it, it would be even more powerful... like america!

    ReplyDelete