Sunday, October 3, 2010

Grilled Veggies and Tofu Tacos

subtitled: Tried to amend my carnivorous habits... Made it nearly seventy days...


Portobello Mushroom, Eggplant, Yellow Squash, Carrots, Onion and Red Pepper
Grilled with brushed olive oil and salt & pepper. 
Grilling.... it's not just for meat any more. I'm a meat with every meal kind of guy but I know I need to amend that habit. I love grilled veggies but needed something to replace the meat in the meal. I bought a big chunk of firm tofu and decided to marinade and grill it along with the veggies, and then hide it in a tortilla.



I usually make a marinade out of what ever I can grab and seems to taste good with what ever I'm cooking. This time it was papaya juice, red wine, olive oil, a splash of worcestershire sauce, a splash of soy sauce and a bit of ground cayenne pepper. It was tasty stuff! I let the tofu marinade for a few hours then threw it on the grill.

Looks pretty good for tofu, don't you think?
The finished grilled cornucopia of veggies and tofu really looked great! It even looks edible! 
This looks gorgeous!  
I sliced up the veggies and tofu, put it in a tortilla with some fresh spinach and a bit or grated romano cheese and threw it back on the grill.




I have to admit, for a meat eater, this was very good! Grilling the tortilla gave it a nice crunch and the blend of the veggies, tofu and spinach was nice. It could have used a little something else to jazz it up - Maybe a sweet and spicy chutney and some cilantro would have done it. Next time....


And for dessert!!! This rocked it! Pears sautéed in raw winter honey with a bit of cinnamon finished with a spiced rum flambé over coffee ice cream and a crispy waffle topped with caramelized pecans. Scrumptious!! 


So, yea... on occasion I could do I vegetarian grilled meal. Especially if it's followed with a dessert like this! 

Next weekend I'm going back to my carnivorous ways. I'm thinking turkey burgers.   I got the meat grinder attachment for the KitchenAid mixer and I'd like to grind my own turkey. I had an amazing turkey burger at Cafe Ponte a few weeks ago that make me rethink what a turkey burger could taste like. I'll be searching turkey burger recipes all week so if you have a good one send it my way.

ttfn...

2 comments:

  1. mmmmmmy mouth is watering! looks delicious! i'm not big on desserts but that looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice looking meal, great shot of it all on the grill, mouth watering.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete