Saturday, September 25, 2010

Amberjack and Confetti Couscous

subtitled: the answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.



A quick stop at the fish market landed me some very fresh locally caught Amberjack! I was planning a quick grilling along with some mixed greens. My daughter decided to get involved in the kitchen and made a confetti couscous salad. Marissa's couscous absolutely turned this meal into something remarkable. Her couscous salad went so well with the amberjack. It also looked gorgeous on the plate, don't you think?

I made a quick marinade that I am calling Thai Basil Marinade. I have several types of basil growing in my yard. It requires zero maintenance, makes a nice landscape plant and it is great for cooking. 

I'll give you a peek. Check this out:



Back to the marinade....



1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of honey
A few tablespoons of fresh chopped Thai Basil
a few chopped garlic cloves


Toss the amberjack in the marinade and put it in the fridge for about an hour.

By the way... Ever hear of Keepeez? This is a very cool product. Instead of lids for bowls, or plastic wrap or plastic bags, you can use these things instead. Easier, plus you're not throwing plastic bags in the garbage. Here...  watch this little video:



After the marinade I threw a little salt and pepper on the fish and tossed on the grill for about 6 or 8 minutes per side. A quick garnish of lemon and lime with a sprig of the Thai Basil bloom finished off the  amberjack.


Now... The great Confetti Couscous salad that Marissa made:

A small box of whole wheat couscous
One red pepper, diced
One carrot, sliced super thin
2 cups of shredded red cabbage
about 4 chopped green onions
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
a teaspoon of curry powder

Toss the veggies in the cooked couscous
Mix the lemon juice, vinegar and curry power together, then add it to the couscous.
Toss it all around, and then add a little salt to taste.
Put this in the fridge for about 30 minutes and serve it chilled.

Very easy to make and absolutely scrumptious! I love it when my kids get involved in cooking!

The couscous and the amberjack played off each other very well. It was a fantastic meal.

So for this week, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment