Sunday, September 19, 2010

Chipotle Chicken KoЯn Chowder

subtitled: feeling like a freak on a leash!
Does it count as a grilling recipe if I didn't grill this, but used leftover grilled chicken that I had in the freezer? I think so....

Remember the Beer Can Chicken? I had leftover chicken from a few weeks ago that I shredded and threw in a bag and tossed it in the freezer.

I was going to take this weekend off from cooking. My sister and her family were in town and we had a huge Italian feast last night. I didn't have to do anything except show up with a few bottles of wine and eat. My brother-in-law is Italian and his family knows how to feed a big group. One of the family owns Capo de Monte Deli on Seminole Blvd in Seminole, FL. If you want phenomenal Italian food, check this place out!

So this morning I decided it would be a great day to get back to work on restoring my little 15' Boston Whaler. It's going great by the way. I'm almost ready to put it back together. Today's job was to put the last coat of varnish (coat # 8) on the mahogany.

Midway through the varnishing job, my wife opened the garage door and said "Darlene is on her way... what's for lunch?" Oh Yeah... I forgot! So this was a quick throw together soup with the left over frozen chicken from a few weeks ago. I did a google search for chicken corn chowder and found a simple recipe on the Food Network's site. Of course I had to tweak it to make it my own, and also substitutes for the stuff the recipe called for that I didn't have on hand.

The soup came out fantastic! I'll put a link to the recipe at the end of this post. My tweak was to use chipotle pepper in place of jalapeno pepper, and use cream in place of milk. Everything else was exactly like the recipe. It took about 30 minutes to throw this together and it was really good! I'll bet this soup is even better as left overs.

So, as it turned out, I did cook this weekend and made a great meal for our company and had something to blog about. And to top it off, tomorrow's dinner is sitting in the fridge getting even better. And I had time to complete my varnishing on the little boat.

If you're looking for a quick and easy soup, try this (with my tweaks!) You don't have to grill a chicken, just buy a rotisserie bird from the grocery store.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/creamy-spicy-corn-chowder-with-chicken-recipe/index.html

That's all for now.... Next weekend I'm thinking I need to do an all veggie project. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. this sound and looks yummy! thanks for cooking this weekend! getting the rotisseri chicken is a great idea! (and i enjoyed the story and the picture i saw of the actual freak on the leash)

    ReplyDelete